Good Friday is celebrated every year on a different date. It is purely based on the lunar calendar. The succeeding Sunday is the Day where people or Christians celebrate Easter. Easter is also called Easter Sunday. This year Good Friday falls on April 18, 2019, and Easter Sunday falls on April 21st, 2019.
Good Friday is actually called the Day of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, The Son of God. Here, In this article, I will clear the query that “Why is it called Good Friday? What happened on Good Friday?“
Why is it called Good Friday?
Many people think that why it is called to be “GOOD” on GOOD FRIDAY when Jesus(God) died. This is the actual question that usually struck into the brain of an unknown person. But the fact is that Jesus is the son of God who actually and truly came down to the Earth to save sinners from their sins. Good Friday is called to be good because the people who are sinners are now washed away from their sins through the blood of Jesus Christ.
Jesus Christ is the only God who loved us so much and he wanted to save us from all the sins and give us eternal life. The Bible clearly tells this fact. The suffering and pain of Jesus Christ on the cross is unbearable. Jesus died or crucified for our sins and rose up again on the third day. The day when the Jesus Christ crucified is called Good Friday and the day when he rose up is called the Resurrection Day or people call it as Easter or Easter Sunday.
What happened on Good Friday?
On Good Friday, Jesus Christ Died for the sins of people. He was beaten up badly, a crown of thorns was placed on his head, Removed all his clothes, spat on his face and killed very cruelly. He spoke Seven Sayings before dying.
These are the Seven Sayings on the cross:
1. Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment and cast lots – Luke 23:34 (KJV)
2. And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise. – Luke 23:43 (KJV)
3. When Jesus, therefore, saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home. – John 19:26-27 (KJV)
4. And about the ninth hour, Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? – Matthew 27:46 (KJV)
5. After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst. – John 19:28 (KJV)
6. When Jesus, therefore, had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost. – John 19:30 (KJV)
7. And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost. – Luke 23:46 (KJV)
Also, Check Happy Easter Images
Plan of salvation through Faith in Jesus Christ: Verse by Verse
This Plan of salvation is for the people who are yet sinners and has not accepted Jesus Christ as their personal savior. The only way to get wash off all the sins in your life is to ask for forgiveness to Jesus Christ, believe that Christ died for your sins and risen on the third day and invite Jesus Christ into your heart with all your faith.
Romans Road to Salvation
Romans 3:10 “As it is written: There is none righteous, no not one;”(KJV)
Romans 3:23 “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;”(KJV)
Romans 5:12 “Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:”(KJV)
Romans 6:23 “For the wages of sin [is] death; but the gift of God [is] eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.”(KJV)
Romans 5:8 “But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us”.(KJV)
Romans 10:13 “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”(KJV)
Romans 10:14 “How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?”(KJV)
Romans 10:9 “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”(KJV)
Romans 10:10 “For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth, confession is made unto salvation”(KJV)
Romans 4:5 “To him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly,
his faith is counted for righteousness”(KJV)
The suffering of Jesus Christ went through on cross is extremely high. It is all because to wash away all the sins of our life. This is the right time to accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior else you will be separated from God eternally and have to face eternal life in hell.
Check also Happy Good Friday Images